Sunday, February 23, 2014

Teaching Interrupted This Blog...

After six years of teaching, I needed a break.  So I applied to graduate school and am currently studying Human Development and Psychology and the Harvard Graduate School of Education.  Some of my peers work feverishly away and don't realize that this is a break -- after the past six years, I can tell you it is!

In my efforts to casually procrastinate working on a current paper I came across this blog that I'd abandoned for the past four and a half years... whoops!  I guess teaching got in the way.

I wish that I'd kept track of the stories of my students better, but I do have them stored in my memory.  I think of them often, because their experiences and hopes are also what led me to HGSE this year.  Though I do consider this a temporary break from teaching, I have also learned a great deal that I will bring back with me to the classroom.  I have also gathered research and momentum to share and advocate for practices, policies, and awareness that I believe need to be brought to light about the effects of poverty and maltreatment on children's development.

I hope I will begin to use this space again to share the stories of my students and the research that shows why it is so important that their stories not be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment