Saturday, October 17, 2009

the power of doing what you say you'll do

I have so many stories to write, but I don't always get them down. Then I put off writing because I think of all of the stories I have to catch up on.... today I'm going to forget about that and start where I am.

Matthew has been doing much better in school overall. We met with his grandmother who has since rescinded her custody of him and placed him in the care of an uncle (whom I'm supposed to meet with at their home next week). He's been through changes, but with medicine (yes, sometimes it really helps), and the school being really consistent, he's been doing great.

A few weeks ago, Matthew had a special Jordan magazine out at an inappropriate time. I warned him next time it was out, it would be mine. I reminded him that I love basketball (I play), so I wasn't kidding when I said I'd enjoy taking it home to read.

He took it out again. Then handed it over without any issues when I held out my hand.

Since then, he's been asking about when he could earn it back. Last week I decided that if he had a solid week all of this week and did well on our Friday field trip, he could have it back. It is a commemorative Jordan magazine, after all.

So Matthew had a great week. He kept checking with me - "Yes, Friday. Keep up the good work." So Friday came, and our field trip was canceled due to rain. On Thursday his bus driver had asked me to speak with him about behavior on the bus... so I told him, as soon as the bus driver confirms you did a good job yesterday, that's the official end of our week, and you will get the magazine back.

We walked out to the bus... the bus driver complimented Matthew on his behavior. I complimented Matthew on the entire week - and handed him the magazine. As I finished writing a "Matthew had a fantastic day" note on his daily home report, Matthew flipped through the magazine - filled with photos of Jordan in his prime.

"Here, Ms. H," he said, "you can have it." I looked at him, confused.

"I just wanted to know if you'd really give it back to me," he said. I wasn't sure what to do, but decided I had to accept his gesture. I thanked him.

2 comments:

  1. What a great story. Have I told you before that those kids are lucky to have you for a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this kid. love you too, ms. h!

    ReplyDelete