Saturday, April 18, 2009

What is a good education?

I've been thinking a lot about this lately -- and the problem is that the answers one generates can become very complex. I am affected by the deficits I see in my school system, and it is easy to get lost in the process of thinking about a wish list for the needs of the students in front of me.

As I discussed what a good education is with a friend last night, he summarized two broad ideas that I found myself ultimately comforted by.

My friend asserted that a good education would/should consist of: 1) the skills needed to function in our society with enough awareness of why/how things work; and, 2) the provision of experiences and ideas that are needed for an individual to get to know oneself and reach self-actualization.

My students will achieve neither of these completely by the end of 5th grade, at the age of 11... but at least I know that we are working on both "skills" and "self" at all times.

Just as my students need repetition and sometimes re-learn skills that they have addressed in previous grades, I, as a teacher, also need to remind myself of bigger picture ideas to help ground my work. Sometimes all it takes is a conversation with a friend who reminds you that pure academic skills are not the only essential piece to a good education. I just needed to be given words to something I've known in my heart all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment